Today we are 2 months into 2017. That’s exactly 59 days since I woke up … um, not exactly fresh-faced, but still determined to improve my life and become a more useful member of society. (Yes, I make resolutions. January always gives me a boost in morale, might as well use it.)
It hasn’t been going so well. After a few personal setbacks (urgh, always this life thing getting in the way!) I am still stressed, unhealthy and all-over-the-map unproductive.
Here’s what I’d like to do with my life:
- my job well
- write and read more
- take care of myself in a way that makes me feel less blobby
- spend time with the wonderful people in my life
- do the work I’m not getting paid for (i.e. creative commitments) well
- figure out what I’m good at and how I can use it for the greater good (big question right there)
- wake up in the morning feeling excited for the day ahead
Here’s what I am doing with my life:
- stress out
- spend every free minute on Youtube
- check Instagram 135 times a day
- buy stuff (notebooks, art supplies, exercise gear) like having things will magically turn me into someone who uses them
- wake up in the morning, see the state of my bedroom and turn around again
My New Year’s resolution for 2017 was to figure out a way to prioritise my life, so I can stop spreading myself too thin and half-arsing things that are important to me. It hasn’t happened by itself (shock!), so this March, I’m making it happen.
FOR THE MONTH OF MARCH 2017 (at least), I WILL:
- NOT buy anything that isn’t
- necessary for upkeep of body or house
- a present
- an experience that involves another person (e.g. cinema tickets)
- NOT use the internet
- between 9pm and 7.30am on weekdays
- for more than 2hrs on weekends
- As an extra rule, I also limit myself to one Youtube video per day.
(The internet rules might change. They’re tailored to my levels of addiction and self-discipline but if they are as generous as they feel I’ll tighten them.)
INSTEAD I WILL:
- read and write
- declutter my possessions
- have experiences
- have a long hard think about what I’m planning to do with this year
Every project needs a name, so I’ll call this the Spring Clean! (I so hope the weather catches up soon and that name starts to feel appropriate.)
I’ll be doing daily check-ins here because a) it’s good writing practice and I don’t think anybody still reads this blog anyway so I can do what I waaaaaaant and b) this way I can hold myself accountable, AND c) I’ve never finished a monthly challenge, so how awesome would it be to do 31 blogposts in 31 days?
So here we go.